About Me

My Photo

I am editor and publisher of Clarisel Media and PRSUN Communications, independent media and community social marketing projects. Our mission is to inform, empower and build community.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Remembering a Bronx 9/11 Mural

Commentary


Bronx Sept. 11 Mural
Originally uploaded by clarisel
I shot this photo in 2005, shortly after I returned to live in the Bronx. This mural on East 144 was up until recently. It has quietly been removed with white paint.

I don't believe this would have been removed so easily from another neighborhood in the Bronx or elsewhere in the city. I know people would have been upset and vocal if a September 11 mural in their neighborhood was removed. But this mural in the South Bronx was erased. Just like that.

This was a mural in tribute to September 11 victims and heroes. Meanwhile, a neighboring mural of a memorial of a woman who died (not related to 9/11) was also removed with the white paint.

I guess it is not cool to remember our dead on South Bronx walls anymore. The South Bronx wants to project another image.

But erasing the September 11 mural? I think this one should have remained as a tribute.

I miss it.

Clarisel Gonzalez

No comments:

Bronx News

Loading...

Latino News

Loading...